Data Scientist (Applied Bioinformatics) (23567)
Are you completing your PhD or postdoc with intentions to move to industry? Have you been offered jobs in finance or consultancy but you are more interested to work on scientific applications?
We’re currently looking for a bright, numerical doctorate to join as a Data Scientist in a specialised Informatics team. The team’s work impacts clinical diagnostics and underpins new advances in personalised medicine, and projects will include the development of new prototype tools.
- Strong maths background (A in maths and ideally further maths at A-level or equivalent) and 1st / 2.1 degree in maths, physics or similar from a top ranked university
- PhD with a strong basis in statistical mathematics or mathematics for informatics. Must have project experience working on applied data-centric models based on genomic applications.
- Fundamental knowledge from first principles about applied statistical mathematics. Expertise in applying this to large complex problems.
- Experience writing prototype code in Python ideally for shared tools.
- Exposure to R, C++, C# or MATLAB code / tools would be beneficial.
- Experience with stochastics, Bayesian inference, or Monte Carlo applications for scientific focused projects.
Experience working on bio data / bioinformatics would be of desirable but more important is that the underlying understanding is evident and can be applied to these types of problems.
In return, the company provides an excellent package including participation in their share scheme, healthcare, pension and bonus.
PhD / Postdoc, 1st / 2.1, Data Science, Python, Applied Maths, Statistics, Bioinformatics
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.
Recommend for £250 – see www.ecmselection.co.uk/tell-a-friend for details.