Experimental Physicist (24726)
Are you a Physicist with some understanding of analogue output from sensors such as MEMS devices?
In this role you will apply experimental techniques to exercise a MEMS device to model physical, electrical and gravitational information. You will be supported by electronics engineers while you design and execute experiments for the characterisation and calibration of analogue electronics
that interface to the MEMS sensors. Signal recovery and precision frequency measurements in the presence of noise are the challenges here.
This start-up seeks someone with significant commercial experience to assist an outstanding academic team originally at the University of Cambridge. Since those early days the company has started field trails however there is still significant design work to complete. Along with your own excellent Physics degree from a world-leading university, you will also be able to offer commercial experience in the following areas:
- The design and build of experimental apparatus for precision instrumentation
- Build of experimental apparatus for field measurements
- Design of experiments and associated apparatus to capture extensive multi-variable data sets
- Modelling and data analysis to recover analytical trends from experimental datasets
- Data analysis using industry standard packages such as MATLAB
- Modelling using COMSOL or OpenFOAM
In addition any of the following would be beneficial:
- Any experience working with MEMS devices
- Solid understanding of design of analogue electronics over extended temperature ranges
- Design of low noise and precision analogue front ends including trans-impedance amplifiers, phase shifters, limiting circuits, oscillators and PLLs
This is an excellent opening to work in a small company where the original founders are still involved at the technical level. They were utilising Cambridge University facilities and have just moved to their own office. They are well funded from several sources including a major player in the oil industry and share options are being offered.
Keywords: Precision instrumentation, MEMS, frequency analysis, MATLAB, COMSOL, start-up, gyroscopes, accelerometers, Cambridge
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.