Data Scientist (24928)
Our client is a small actuarial consultancy based in London whose expertise lays in enabling their clients to apply the most recent advances in data science and technology to their traditional actuarial disciplines, such as assessing capital and risk. They have been progressively adding data science, quantitative coding, machine learning and holistic data solutions to their toolset.
They seek a skilled mathematician / statistician to join them as a Data Scientist and support the Consulting Team in their work with clients. You will be a problem solver with a genuine enthusiasm for implementing innovative solutions and making recommendations based on solid insights gained from studying data. You should also have an interest in working in the financial sector.
The role would involve: developing new models and techniques to analyse risk; writing technical architecture and supporting client-facing work. You will be working with a highly skilled team encompassing colleagues from both an actuarial and data science background and you will have real influence on technology strategy.
Minimum experience and skills necessary for this role:
- An excellent academic background in mathematics and statistics, including a degree (2.1 or above) in a STEM subject from a well-respected university
- Experienced using Python, R (or similar) for data analysis for model building and numerical simulations, as well as fully competent with at least one programming language
- Familiar with linear models, curve fitting and machine learning techniques
- The ability to think critically; problem solve; and visualise, interrogate and draw conclusions from data
Desirable skills and experience include:
- Postgraduate degree
- Experience with machine learning, SQL, VBA and .Net development
- Industry experience, particularly in actuarial fields would be an advantage but is not necessary.
Full permission to live and work in the UK without time limit, restriction or sponsorship will also be required.
Keywords: Data science, risk analysis, machine learning, Python, R, VBA, SQL, architecture, client-facing, finance
Interested? Send your CV to ECM Selection; whilst we can only put forward the top few candidates, we do read every CV and try to respond to everyone. Or recommend a friend for £250, details at http://ecmselection.co.uk/tell-a-friend.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.