Linux IT Specialist, Cloud Computing (20215)
A Cambridge-based internet technology company is building modern online services to mine the rich veins of modern media content in the cloud. Using sophisticated software developed in house, they analyse petabytes of data, descrambling its payload and running advanced algorithms on it to effectively semantically map the media of the internet.
This is all backed by a sophisticated network of Linux systems in the cloud, running only the latest technology. To keep this system in check and guide its future development they’re looking for an specialist in Linux, developer operations (dev ops) and/or cloud systems administration to join their development team.
- A good scientific degree from a world-class university;
- Expertise in finagling bunches of Linux systems, and likely your own troubleshooting toolbox;
- Solid skills with Python, Bash, PHP or Perl, and any other languages are a plus;
- A good grasp of MySQL and/or NoSQL (your choice) and Apache or Nginx performance and configuration issues;
- Experience with as wide a range of other Linux tech as possible. We could list countless acronyms (the company uses many) but the main thing is breadth, flexibility and a rapid uptake.
You will be:
- Taking ownership of the company’s infrastructure and guiding its future development
- Building new systems, hardware and software, coding up the glue yourself if needs be;
- At home monitoring syslogs, load balancing servers, rolling transaction logs, scaling up systems both horizontally and vertically, and otherwise keeping the SLA plates spinning;
- Working right alongside developers and talking to the guys oversees (and you won’t mind occasional international travel), as your expertise is critical to them.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
Keywords: IT, specialist, dev ops, development, sysadmin, Linux, scripting, cloud
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.