Do you enjoy variety in your work? Can you offer strong numerical skills & an interest in software engineering, but would enjoy a more people oriented position rather than just hands-on coding responsibilities? This superb company develops sophisticated Computer Graphics / 3D Visualisation / Maths Modelling software. They offer a dynamic, stimulating and friendly working environment near to central Cambridge - in modern offices within easy walking distance of Cambridge railway station - and with an informal "jeans and t-shirts" style dress code.
This challenging Technical Support role involves working as a member of the team responsible for Pre and Post-Sales Support, Consultancy and Documentation, supporting customers and users who are developing systems using the products, and providing feedback to the software development teams. The work is technically challenging and frequently requires in-depth investigation, often in collaboration with software development engineers.
You should have a good degree in a numerate discipline &/or several years’ experience of working within a commercial software / support environment, backed by strong analytical and problem solving skills. Reasonable exposure to a range of programming languages / platforms would be a definite advantage.
Excellent written / spoken English and good communication and team working skills are essential, along with the ability to communicate complex concepts in simple terms. Previous experience in a technical support position would be an obvious advantage.
- Degree in a discipline with a high mathematical content (e.g. engineering, physics, mathematics) or equivalent vocational experience.
- Experience of working in a customer support environment or equivalent transferable customer service skills
- Sufficient mathematical knowledge to comprehend and explain the mathematical concepts underlying the software.
- Excellent team-working skills, to support co-workers and achieve team goals.
- Ability to think in 3 dimensions and visualise solid modelling concepts.
- Adept in analytical and problem solving techniques and keen to apply them
- Excellent communication skills – both verbally and in writing.
In addition, experience of or an interest in any of the following is an advantage:
- CAD/CAM/CAE/AEC software, which typically uses a modelling kernel (using, supporting, developing or customising such applications)
- Engineering or Technical Drawing/Drafting: comprehend and communicate product design, testing, manufacture and assembly
- Successful negotiation with development staff and customers on customer issues.
- Customer relationship management: build a rapport and maintain a healthy technical relationship
- Ability to present internally or to customers in a compelling manner
- Developing code in C, C++, or C#, preferably in a Microsoft Visual Studio environment.
The role carries a competitive salary, depending on experience, along with a range of attractive benefits. Excellent career development prospects for the right candidate.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.