Our client are keen to expand their design for manufacture as they take on new projects.
They are looking for a motivated individual with experience of designing products for manufacture. The successful candidate will be able to take 2D concept drawings or illustrative designer CAD models and build functional CAD geometry for 3D printing and prototyping. The creation of final tool drawings will not be required, as these are created by their factory, but a strong understanding of the requirements for injection moulding will be needed and the effect of early design decisions on the final products’ manufacturability will be key. An interest in video games and or sci-fi will be very useful in this role, but not strictly necessary. An excellent degree from a leading university in engineering, mechanical design or product design is essential.
Skills / Experience:
- High level of competence with one of the leading CAD software packages such as Creo Parametric (ProE), Inventor, SolidWorks or Fusion 360.
- Ability to interpret design intention and quickly to make realistic 3D proposals and realizations of concepts
- An understanding and working knowledge of the various mass production manufacturing methods (e.g. injection moulding, die-casting, and metal stamping) and how they can be combined to make innovative and engaging products)
- A problem solving mentality
- The ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure as part of a small team
- Attention to detail
Although they are growing, as a small company some more generalized skills will be important to do the job properly, so the ideal candidate will have these additional useful skills
- Commercial awareness
- Excellent project management skills
- Time management and organisational skills
- Appropriate IT skills as required for maintaining your own workflow and CAD environment
- Experience dealing with Chinese manufacturers
- Experience with component specification
Ideally, the successful candidate will be based in their East Hertfordshire office, although if necessary this could be based out of their Cambridge site.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.