Think differently. Recruitment isn't always what you think.
ECM are hiring, looking for prospective consultants to join our Cambridge team. If you have a science, engineering or maths background and you're looking for something different – an interesting, varied and low stress role with great rewards that uses your interest in engineering and science – why not consider us?
Ours is a genuinely consultative, communicative job, trying to help people and companies. We listen, make suggestions, use our technical knowledge and try to help both sides to achieve their goals.
How we're different.
Some parts of the recruitment industry may meet stereotypes, but ECM consultants are very different. Let's dismiss some preconceptions.
|🗸||Scientists and engineers||🗴||Salespeople|
|🗸||People approach us||🗴||Scouring the internet|
|🗸||Advise and guide||🗴||Talk people into things|
|🗸||Attentive listener||🗴||Check boxes|
|🗸||Creative suggestions||🗴||Match keywords|
|🗸||Available to talk||🗴||Always on the phone|
|🗸||Holistic career view||🗴||One person one job|
|🗸||Flat structure||🗴||Org chart|
|🗸||Manage your own time||🗴||Strict schedule|
|🗸||Flexible hours||🗴||Evening/weekend working|
|🗸||Friday home working||🗴||5+ days in the office|
|🗸||Long term goals||🗴||Daily targets and KPIs|
|🗸||Unlimited rewards||🗴||Capped rewards|
A typical day.
Every day is different, and by and large our consultants manage their own time, but here are some of the things you'd be involved in:
- Speaking with candidates. Whether an initial discussion, answering some questions, or offering advice, you'll speak with other scientists and engineers to help them.
- Speaking with companies. Whether they're a new startup, or a company we've known for decades, it's equally important to get to know our clients, build relationships, and understand their perspective.
- Having ideas. Some of these come out of group discussion, and others' from individual consultants' inspiration. These can be ideas to help people, suggestions for clients, or improvements to how we ourselves work.
- Written communication. It's important to convey our understanding honestly and in light of our specific knowledge; writing therefore forms a key part of what we do. Some text is published and other text is just for one person.
- Technical reading. Whether it's particularly interesting CV, news of a new technology, or a new technical role's description, there is plenty to read.
- Discussion with colleagues. Ours is a conversational office, and each of us brings our own valued perspective.
- Arrangements, advice and feedback. As people progress through interviews, we help to arrange, offer specific advice, and give as much feedback as we can.
- Going home on time. This isn't an engineering job, and our candidates and clients have homes to go to, so why work late? And again, we operate flexible hours.
Perks of the job.
We offer a relaxed working environment, a 37.5 hour working week with core hours, 24 days holiday plus bank holidays and, after passing probation, home working on Fridays. Our offices are just north-east of Cambridge and we have parking on site.
Remuneration includes a competitive salary, pension, an uncapped commission structure and bonuses. We have occasional, optional social events at company expense.
Full training is provided by experts with a strong grasp of technologies and many years in recruitment.