Principal Software Engineer (26046)
An exciting opportunity for a knowledgeable Principal Software Engineer has arisen with a Cambridge company who are working on machine learning and decision-making algorithms that are used in a variety of sectors, such as Finance and Energy.
The Principal Software Engineer will be the go-to-person for the team on issues of software design, integration of components and delivery and deployment. They will be sought to give their opinion on the direction and strategy for future research and development.
The company has strong links to the open-source community and mostly work in Julia, however, experience in Julia is not absolutely necessary to excel in this position if you possess an extensive knowledge of Python and MATLAB. An important part of the role will involve creating new packages for the Julia ecosystem, so the ability to adapt and learn new languages would be advantageous.
Other key aims for the Principal Software Engineer will be: to develop scalable solutions for distributed systems; to build software components and libraires that are able to express, distribute and execute machine learning pipelines; the ability to always keep usability, performance and user expectations at the forefront of all innovative development work.
The Principal Software Engineer would have:
- Extensive experience in software engineering/development, ideally including: Julia, MATLAB and Python development.
- Good knowledge of parallel or distributed computation (e.g. Dask, Tensorflow, Apache Spark).
- A good appreciation of machine learning, statistics, and optimisation.
- Familiar with Linux containers, such as Docker, as well as a good understanding of Cloud Computing, AWS being of particular interest.
- A good degree in Computer Science or similar technical subject will be expected as will strong communication skills.
Full right to work in the UK without time limit or sponsorship will also be needed to be considered for this role.
Keywords: Julia, Open Source, Linux, Python, MATLAB, Principal, Software Engineer, Cambridge, Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, AWS
Interested? Send your CV to ECM Selection; whilst we can only put forward the top few candidates, we do read every CV and try to respond to everyone. Or recommend a friend for £250, details at http://ecmselection.co.uk/tell-a-friend.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.