Applied Physicist, Commercial R&D (26550)
If you are an Applied Physicist with an established commercial focus, this might be your opportunity to join a technical consultancy whilst maintaining the feel of a close-knit collaborative team. Backed by a long-established company with a pedigree in R&D, this small but separate group is able to focus their efforts on projects, offering rapid progress in an industry where this is rarely obtainable.
Working on homeland security related topics, this multi-discipline team will offer a variety of projects to sink your teeth into. This may include modelling thermal systems used in aviation, or chemical and material processes. Or it could involve, acoustics, microfluidics or modelling electromagnetics. Your skills in computational modelling and understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, supported by thorough research and practical experimentation, will allow you to make an immediate impact on real world problems.
You will be expected to have an excellent academic record including a Physics degree (2.1 or above) from a well-respected university and quite probably a Masters or PhD.
As this is a UK homeland security related role, you must also be a British Citizen, eligible for UK security clearance. Sponsorship cannot be offered.
They are open to a balance of skills and experience in a number of the following areas:
- Adept at analytical, numerical, and finite element simulation, including thermal modelling
- A good understanding of optics, including propagation, imaging systems, fibre optics, lasers, fluorescence imaging as well as the interplay of light with different material surfaces
- Excellent knowledge of electromagnetics, including propagation, penetration, interference and interaction with electronics
- acoustics, including haptics and acoustic communications
- fluid analysis, including droplet and aerosol formation, particle dispersion, fluid flow and microfluidics
- excellent communication skills and a collaborative and flexible approach
An interest or experience in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning is also welcome.
Keywords: MATLAB, Python, Numerical Modelling, Acoustics, Microfluidics, Electromagnetics, Physics, Interference, Electronics, Thermal Modelling, Consultancy, South Cambridge, Defence
Interested? Send your CV to ECM Selection; whilst we can only put forward the top few candidates, we do read every CV and try to respond to everyone. Or recommend a friend for £250, details at http://ecmselection.co.uk/tell-a-friend.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.