Senior Software Engineer, Video Streaming (26664)
This Cambridge startup are developing a high-capacity interactive platform to deliver digital healthcare to millions in the UK and beyond. Tailored video streaming is a key platform component, and there is significant work to do in designing and architecting this aspect of the platform.
Building on expert foundations, you will take ownership for the platform’s video content generation and delivery technology. Far from simply delivering canned video assets “down the pipe”, this role will involve adaptive and seamless combination of a variety of assets, intermixed as one would a TV studio broadcast, but with the quality and adaptability of a modern consumer video streaming service.
You will have:
- A good technical degree and strong supporting A-level grades.
- A senior developer’s mentality, able to take the lead in a complex area and deliver highly scalable, reliable software systems.
- A sufficient understanding of cloud-scale video systems’ deployment, using a platform like AWS, Azure, GCP or a private cloud, ideally in the form of prior experience with large scale video delivery.
- Low level software engineering expertise in C++, Go, Rust or a similar language.
- High level software engineering in a language such as Python, for instance around tools or deployment technologies.
- A deep understanding of video codecs, video processing, formats and optimal approaches to re-encoding and combining streams.
This role is primarily Cambridge, UK based with hybrid working likely in future. Full existing UK work permission is required without time limit, restriction or sponsorship.
Keywords: video streaming, video codecs, H.264, HEVC, VP9, AV1, VMAF, CMAF, HLS, MPEG-DASH, RTSP, RTMP, AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, MediaLive, S3, Azure Media Services, AIStreamer, GStreamer, GCP, C++, Go, Rust, Python, bitstream, ffmpeg, mux / demux.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.