Risk Modeller (25911)
Are you a quantitative analyst looking to move away from the finance sector? A data scientist with experience in logistics? Or perhaps you have studied climate modelling and would like to look into the implications for businesses. If so, a successful Cambridge based start-up company, at the forefront of predicting and planning for systemic events, and with an existing client-base, could be an ideal next move for you.
Risk management is a subject receiving a lot of attention at present, as companies of all sizes realise the effects events such as politics, climate change or the spread of a new virus can have on their supply and manufacturing lines. This role will involve researching, modelling and predicting how much those risks will affect businesses and give them an incredible tool to help them prepare.
You could be researching and working on transition risk models: estimating the costs of increased carbon pricing and regulation; assessing liabilities arising from past emissions or looking at market risks from changing consumer preferences and investor priorities. Other areas include: technology risks from disruptive innovation, and reputation risks affecting customers and counterparties. Or perhaps you will be working on physical risk models: quantifying the costs of business disruption from changing patterns of extreme weather, based on analysis of global circulation models and natural catastrophe analytics.
You will be a great team player, happy to manage your time between different priorities and will take ownership of your areas of research.
Attributes and experience:
- An MSc or PhD in a mathematical, engineering or science-based subject, such as Natural Sciences, Engineering, Maths, or Economics from a Russell Group university
- Good competency in modelling languages such as Python, R, MATLAB, SQL or C++
- An interest in business risk and management science
- The ability to quickly research brand new topics, sourcing information and organising and interpreting datasets
- Communicate effectively, able to easily pass on insights and analyses to teammates and clients
Ideally, great candidates will also show:
- Relevant experience in model development (e.g. natural catastrophe modelling, corporate financial valuation, macroeconomic modelling)
- Skills in working with GIS systems such as Quantum GIS and/or programmatic GIS such as GeoPy or Spatial SQL
Full permission to live and work in the UK without time limit, restriction or sponsorship will also be required, as our client cannot offer sponsorship.
The company is situated close to Cambridge Station, in modern well-equipped offices, which reflect the energetic vibe of this young start-up, although they are currently working remotely. They offer stock options as well as a competitive salary for the right candidate.
Keywords: Risk management, Cambridge, quantitative analyst, maths modelling, climate modelling, natural catastrophe modelling, data science, Python
Interested? Send your CV to ECM Selection; whilst we can only put forward the top few candidates, we do read every CV and try to respond to everyone. Or recommend a friend for £250, details at http://ecmselection.co.uk/tell-a-friend.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.