Climate Maths Modeller - Team Lead (26471)
Here is a real chance to have an effective impact on the battle against climate change.
This Cambridge company have grown quickly over the last few years after being spun-out of Cambridge University. Their SaaS products enables companies to assess the potential climate-related risks to their business and the possible strategies they could take to alleviate them. The company is growing rapidly, having recently secured Series A funding and their increasing client base means their recommendations could result in a carbon saving equivalent to the year’s output of a sizable European country.
They seek skilled climate modellers with significant research experience involving climate scenarios or catastrophe modelling, be that at post-doc level or through commercial groups, to continue developing their cutting-edge SaaS products. Experience with carbon accounting or corporate ESG would also be beneficial. The climate modellers must be able to communicate complex scientific topics to audiences unfamiliar with the subject in an accessible manner. And they should be fuelled by their genuine interest in climate change risk and strategic business management.
As well as having a good mathematical background and skills in Python, this position would involve team leadership and so previous experience in a similar lead role or mentoring position would be beneficial.
Skills and attributes necessary for success:
- An advanced level technical degree (PhD or Masters) in mathematics, engineering climate science, economics, or similar.
- Evidence of substantial research experience, either post-doctoral or commercial.
- Good knowledge of climate-related transition risks and climate scenarios (e.g. SSPs, from the IEA or the NGFS).
- Excellent data science, statistics, and analysis skills. This company mostly works in Python, though knowledge of other modelling languages, such as R may be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, manage concurrent goals, and work closely with a diverse team of scientists and engineers.
Full right to work in the UK without time limit or sponsorship will also be required as our client is unable to offer sponsorship.
Additional desirable skills:
- Demonstrable knowledge of specific relevant sectors such as: energy, utilities, finance, and agriculture would be beneficial, as would experience of working in corporate risk or sustainability.
- Project or team management experience in a commercial setting.
A good, competitive salary is on offer to the right candidate, together with flexible hybrid working and stock options, on completion of a probationary period.
Please note: even if you don't have exactly the background indicated, do contact us now if this type of job is of interest - we may well have similar opportunities that you would be suited to. And of course, we always get your permission before submitting your CV to a company.